Background

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Life of a Quasi-Grownup

As I am making last minute preparations for my business trip to Europe tomorrow (fancy, right?), I can't help but think that this is someone else's crazy awesome life, not my own.

I mean, with this trip I will officially qualify as a Delta Medallion Member, a status that brings free checked luggage, priority upgrades, boarding with First Class, and of course - the coveted short check-in line.

But this was a status that my dad always had when we would travel, not me. When I was a kid, I looked up to him so much (well, still do really), admiring the finesse he had when traversing through the airport, always seeming to know right where to go with just a quick glance at one of the boards, like traveling was the most ordinary thing to do.

Of course now I know airline travel is pretty ordinary, but when I was younger, traveling on an airplane was one of the biggest treats and extremely exciting. I would try to stand up at the checkin counter with my dad after we'd gone through the short "special" line, wishing that I had an ID that the airline attendant could check, and then hurry to keep up with my dad's brisk, purposeful walk to the terminal - hoping to the unknowing eye that I, too would look like traveling was the most mundane thing in the world, like I did it all the time.

And now, I look at myself and realize that I have reached that status as well. I get annoyed with the n00bs in the security line who take ages to put their things through and with the people that think all 12 members of their family need to crowd around baggage claim. (Seriously - you just need one.) But I'm most annoyed with the terrorist who tried to blow up an airplane with a liquid bomb - which resulted in the requirement that you cannot bring liquids over 3 oz on the plane. So I am forced to check my bag because my facial cleansing supplies are 4 oz. ::Grumbles::

Through all of this, however, I am still in awe that this is my life. Yesterday, I watched Up in the Air with George Clooney and totally related to his travel tricks. This made me stop for a moment and think: Wow, when did I become this grownup business traveller?

I mean, these trips are certainly rad, and I love taking them. Most of the time I don't feel like a grownup - and certainly not a grownup international business woman! But apparently that's what I've become, and tomorrow I'll board one of these:


...and embark on my next European business adventure. This time I'll even be giving a presentation at an International Robotics in Education conference, which is totally mind boggling.

So wish me luck dearest interwebs, I'll try to keep you updated on my adventures!

Oh, and on a slightly less-grownup note: my cell number will be active while I am away. However, I will be paying international call and text prices. Therefore, please try to refrain from any unnecessary texts or phone calls. If you do forget, I won't be angry, and all I ask is please don't get upset with me in return for not responding to your call or text. I do love you all, just not necessarily enough to pay $1.29-2.89 a minute to talk or $0.50 to text.

2 comments:

  1. Love you & this!!! I was just thinking the exact same thing when I was boarding my flight yesterday coming back from Chicago, as I head out tomorrow for Detroit & on my Euro. business trip in October. When did we become grown-ups? When did travel become so passe? Hahahaha. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey grownup. Welcome to this crazy awesome family. Even though we fly in economy, we travel so much that we get the “business class” treatment, all the way up to the little seats in the back of the pane. :-)
    Right now the Education Department is reaching around the globe with Andy and Stephanie in CA, you in Europe and me in China.
    Now go ahead and fire all those people. I mean, awe them with your presentation. No need to fire anyone on this job and it’s OK to use backpacks and have family and pets.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete