Background

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Jessica's Jauntings: Day 7

Today I had a very good meeting with our Swiss distributor, ZEKO Kolbicz. He was very friendly and took me on a drive around the town and explained some of the local customs.

One custom that I found quite entertaining is that at the end of winter the entire town gathers and builds a large snowman. Then, they load the snowman with explosives and blow it up! Depending on how long it takes the head to melt is how good and how quickly spring will arrive.

I told him that our equivalent tradition, Groundhog Day, wasn't nearly as exciting.

After the meeting, I headed over to the Swiss National Museum, or Landesmuseum Zürich.

Landesmuseum Zürich

Their collection was very interesting and included a history of the Swiss Army Knife. The museum was very large and I kept viewing the exhibits backwards, I think. But overall it was a very interesting place to visit and a nice way to spend the afternoon.

After touring the museum, I decided to head back to the hotel and rest since I am not completely over my cold. Below is a picture of where I am staying, can you believe there is a Starbucks underneath? I suppose they really are everywhere.


So now I am relaxing before dinner, I am going to try a restaurant that boasts authentic Swiss cuisine made with local ingredients. Unfortunately, they do not open until 6, which is too bad as I could eat now and would like to go to sleep early again to help fight this cold. But the restaurant looks very interesting and should be yummy, so hopefully it's worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment