Background

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Nook vs. Kindle

As I mentioned in a previous post, for my make-up Christmas present, Steven got me a Nook Color. Since we're nerds, he also had everything ready so that we could root it.


For those of you that don't speak geek, rooting is the process of taking total control of your device. In this case, replacing the software written for the Nook with the Android OS. Basically, the Nook becomes an Android Tablet, which is like an iPad, but better.

I must say, I love my rooted Nook, it's been working flawlessly. The screen resolution is amazing, and the Android Market even listed the apps that I'd already purchased on my phone so that I could install them on my Nook without re-purchasing them.

Also, both Comics and Android Comic Viewer are awesome for reading comics. Unfortunately, Marvel doesn't sell to any Android apps, but there are still tons of great reads out there. I'm very excited to be able to get back into comics again - which is one of the main reasons I wanted a tablet.

However, I think it does fall short as an eReader. I will most certainly still use my Kindle for reading novels. The E Ink is just so much easier on the eyes and much more pleasant to read for longer periods of time. The LCD screen on the Nook isn't terrible to read on, but it is very difficult to read in sunlight and does hurt my eyes after awhile.

So if you are thinking of getting one over the other: I say if you're looking for a cheap tablet option, go with the Nook. But if you're primarily looking for an eReader, I honestly think the Kindle is the best option out there.

1 comment:

  1. Alright...we get it you love your Nook. JUST kidding!!! I am not as geeky as you and I must say I love my Kindle. It's easy for a non-geek. :) However you are more cool than I because yours is in color.

    ReplyDelete