Background

Monday, August 2, 2010

ZOMG "Weird Al" Yankovic at the Fair!!

Yesterday I had the pleasure of having one of my lifetime goals achieved, which was to see "Weird Al" Yankovic in concert. And yes, it was everything I thought it would be and more. I was really impressed that he played a full show, since it was a free concert at the California State fair. But we had the pleasure of experiencing full costume changes complete with "Al TV" clips in between songs.

Since we were unaware of the wristbands given out earlier in the day, we didn't get the up close seats. But we did find a nice spot in the grass directly across from the stage over a moat-ish body of water where there were boats with water cannons circling a fountain. Kind of random, but they had some nice video boards set up, and I had a basket of fried cheese curds, so I was ready to go!

He opened the show with a new polka - "Polka Face" - which included Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", Brittney Spears' "Womanizer", Jamie Foxx's "Blame it on the Alcohol", Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl", Owl City's "Fireflies" and a couple others. It was fantastically executed as per usual, and was funny because right before the concert we were asking each other what the chances would be that he would parody Lady Gaga.

But perhaps my favorite part of the night was his performance of "Wanna B Ur Lovr." It was the one song where he walked through the crowd and interacted with the ladies in conjunction with the lyrics of the song. It was really fun and really made me wish I had the up front seats ...sigh.

And of course, the encore where he performed "The Saga Begins" and "Yoda" dressed as Obi-Wan, complete with background "dancers" dressed as Storm Troopers needs no mention of its awesomeness.

Overall the concert was definitely one of the best I've been to. I'm ready to go to another one though and get closer tickets! Although our seats were great for only paying $5, it definitely wasn't the same vibe as being surrounded by other hardcore fans. But I still danced around, clapped, and sang along to the songs...even though I was probably the only one in the area we were sitting.

I'll finish this post off with a quote from Weird Al himself, "When I was planning this tour, I requested to my [booking agent] that I wanted to play at least one show at a state fair over a moat. So you know... dreams do come true."

Why yes, Al (can I call you Al?), yes they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment